Swallowing capsules is not on the top of our “Love to Do” list. I mean, we do it because we know the nutrients in them can help us. However, the actual capsule swallowing isn’t the love of our life – and very difficult for many!
Fortunately, there are some easy tips that can make it much easier. Learning this routine isn’t hard but, getting into the habit of using it can make swallowing a capsule a lot easier! (‘Caps’ also includes tabs and pills.)
How to Swallow Capsules
1. Beforehand – it helps to take a few sips of water, or whatever liquid you are using, to help moisten the throat.
2. Divide the Capsules – If there are several capsules, it helps to divide them into an amount you can handle at one time. For most people, this usually ranges from 1 to 5 capsules.
(If also using Monolaurin, many people find adding the monolaurin pellets to a group of capsules actually makes it easier to swallow the group of capsules.)
3. Tilt Your Head Forward – Have a cup of liquid in your hand, put the group of capsules on your tongue (not back in the throat), take enough water in your mouth to wash the capsules past your wind pipe into your throat BUT tilt your head forward before swallowing.
(The normal tilting the head back actually constricts the throat, making it harder to swallow. Tilting forward helps open the throat up. Also, most caps float in the water being drank, naturally taking them back to the throat to make swallowing easier.)
4. Now Tilt Back & Drink More – You can wash the caps all the way to the stomach if you wish. If there is more than 1 group of pills, take at least 1-2 swallows of liquid so there is a space between 1 group and the next group of pills in your throat. (You don’t want them to group together into a large group that can be painful to move all the way down to the stomach.)
5. Repeat for Each Group of Caps – This can actually fill your stomach a bit. (Of course, if there are a lot of caps and pills, you can divide them into different times of the day.)
Can I empty capsules into a liquid instead of swallowing them whole?
Yes they can be. However, pick a liquid to help cover the taste since many individual nutrients are actually pretty bitter.
*The only Capsule we recommend not emptying is Bio-Fibrin since the capsule increases the efficiency of the product.
Are there any liquids I should avoid when taking capsules?
Most of our capsules (except Bio-Fibrin) can be taken with any beverage. When taking Bio-Fibrin, avoid taking it with beverages or food containing protein. Protein lessens the efficiency of the Bio-Fibrin enzymes.
Can I Use a Lubricant?
Some people use lubricants designed to help swallow pills, such as Pill Glide. Most people find using the system above works great for them but this is another option available. If so, follow their directions.
Can I Swallow Pills with Soft Foods?
This can also be done easily if you swallow with some soft foods. Just be sure you have chewed the food and are ready to swallow. Then add the cap(s) to it and swallow. (Bio-Fibrin should be taken without protein foods.)